Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Open Wide

Largemouth Bass (Micropterus salmoides)
There are defining characteristics of animals which are used to separate them from other species. Without them, variation in creatures would be dull and boring. Imagine a bird without color, or fish without variations in shape and size. Defining characteristics are why animals are sought ought by people - to get a glimpse of that bright color on a bird, or reel in that big fish. This past week has been the start of spring for me. I purchased my fishing license and finally got the line a little wet which typically marks the start of spring in my world. I had gone out on Friday and Saturday to the breakwall in the headlands on Lake Erie...I left with an empty string of fish both times. I decided Tuesday that I would test out my zen, Mogodore Reservoir, to see if it would produce anything for me. I threw on a sinker and a bright orange rooster tail with a treble hook, said to Jeremy, "if I were a fish, I'd eat this,"  and after a few cast and reels I nabbed my first Largemouth Bass of the year!!

4-26-11
This is one species of Bass which I anticipate on catching this year, along with Smallmouth Bass, War Bass, and White Bass - all species which I had caught last year, mainly on Lake Erie. On this particular species of bass, you can notice the dark lateral band that runs from the head of the fish to the tail along its side. That is one defining characteristic. Also, when the mouth is shut the back part of the jaw extends beyond the back border of the eye. Here are a few pictures of last year's catches with notes of each fish's defining characteristic.

Smallmouth Bass (Micropterus dolomieu) 7-31-10
Smallmouth Bass are similar in appearance to that of the Largemouth Bass with a couple of defining characteristics. The Smallmouth Bass lacks the dark lateral band which a Largemouth Bass possesses. Instead, it has vertical striations or bars along its side (on an adult fish). Also, when the mouth is shut the back of the jaw does not extend beyond the rear of the eye.

Rock Bass (Ambloplites rupestris) 8-1-10
Much smaller than a Largemouth or Smallmouth Bass, but similar in color, the Rock Bass is in the same family as the two, but changes genus. The rock bass can be noted as having a (various shades of) red eye and a jaw, when the mouth is shut, that extends past the middle of the eye. If the anal fin was spread out there would be 6 spines visible.

White Bass (Morone chrysops) 7-31-10
The White Bass is much different in appearance to the Bass shown above. The White Bass, in a totally different family of fish, has a silvery color with a dorsal fin which contains 9 spines. There are 6 or more dark lateral lines on the sides and back. Fish that closely resemble are White Perch and Striped Bass, which are in the same family and genus as the White Bass.

Bass are my favorite type of fish to catch, and I cannot wait until I get the chance to go out and angle a few more into my grasps. I am a catch-and-release kind of guy for these fish, hoping that someone else may feel the rush of the fight of reeling one in. There is no better feeling when spinning the reel as when the bass hits your bait with its sport-like force and you pull back quickly to set the hook.  I encourage all to try the sport of fishing - one of few sports that is relaxing and thrilling all at once. Until the next time I am Out And About, good luck to my fellow anglers.









No comments:

Post a Comment